Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The McNaughton's Of Glengarry County, Ontario and Area -- Volume 1

The McNaughton's Of Glengarry County, Ontario and Area
-- Volume 1 A to D
by Rhoda Ross
to be published March 2008

For those interested in obtaining a copy of this work, feel free to
contact us.


This Blog will provide you with an opportunity to post comments, additions and corrections relating to the book The McNaughton’s of Glengarry County, Ont., and area and queries that relate to the McNaughton families of Glengarry County Ont. and their descendants as well as the counties of Soulanges and Stormont.

Volume 1, is A to D. 450 pages. This volume A to D refers to the christian name of those people listed whose first name starts with A, B, C, D.

From the Forward



Forward  


This publication , on the McNaughton families of the Glengarry County area of Ontario and some of their descendants, is the first volume of a 3 volume set of books with an index in each volune, which includes some of the families from Soulanges County in Quebec and some from Stormont County in Ont. I am not sure if I have included all the McNaughton families that settled in the Glengarry area but I hope I have found most of them. In some McNaughton families, the descendants have been found across both Canada and the USA. Please note I did not do any research in the Scottish records for Mcnaughton ancesters in Scotland, I will leave that up to you.

I have been collecting and researching the McNaughton family for a number of years. This came about as a result of a conversation with Elizabeth (Tibi ) McRae of Bainsville, Ontario, a cousin of my late husband John M. Ross, regarding her McNaughton family. She was wondering who the first McNaughton was who settled in Glengarry County, also who her ancestor's were. I thought it would be a challenge so I started compiling all the McNaughton information I came across on a hit or miss basis. As a result I was able to help Mrs. McRae and also ended up with a lot of odds and end’s that I thought should be organized in some manner. Consequently this book came into being and It has become an obsession with me and I have really enjoyed the challenge. I have meet a lot of new researchers via the internet and I hope I have not missed very many in my thank you list, as I lost a lot of my e-mails.

I have not tried to keep to the original spelling of the name as it has been changed from generation to generation and family to family. ie - MacNaughton / McNaughton / McNaughtan/ McNorton / McNoton & probably several other spelling’s.

In the index I have listed all the McNaughton’s as Mc and ending with on, so forgive me if I have changed the spelling of your name, I believe, by doing this, it will make the searching of the families easier to find. In the actually work I have the proper spelling of the name. If I have made an error please correct me.

I hope this work will be of help to anyone researching the McNaughton as well as the Wightman (Whiteman) families as there were several marriage’s between McNaughton’s and Wightman’s and this brings us into the Wightman genealogy. I have only included the Wightman family information if they were directly connected to the McNaughton’s. I have also included some extra family information on some other families as well, ex. Condie, Mckillican, etc. In the 3rd volume there will be information on some of the McNaughton families of the Lachine and Montreal area . I do not know if these McNaughtons are connected with the Glengarry branch. They are included because I found some of them in the St Andrews United Church B M D, Williamstown, Ontario and who were baptized by Rev John Bethune. these early records are in part also found in his Montreal B M D records.

The book consistes mainly of notices from newspapers or research from genealogy books published on the various resources, of birth marriage and Death’s records or church records and obituaries, articles of interest etc., I would also like to thank the families who sent me the research on their respective families and in biographies written of their ancesters. I thought these would be of interest.

I have spent a lot of time and effort in the past 10 plus years doing the usual research, If it had not been for the many church record’s, cemetery recordings and various other files and local books from the library of Alex. W. Fraser this work would have taken far longer to complete, if at all. I have possibly not put in my book all the information I received but will eventually put it onto my web page of which I hope to have corrections and additions from family members added as well.



I have not expanded on some of the families as they are already documented in other publications and I have made a reference to these.

I know I have not been able to connect quite a few of the families but I am hoping someone will be able to help in that regard. I am sure that some can be connected but I did not have any proof of where they fit into things, I hope you will be able to find a home for them.


Note:
Where I have made reference to see someone with an initial other than A - D this reference will be in Volume 2 or Volume 3, ie (See under John McNaughton and wife) or (See William McNaughton and wife)

Charts
I have included charts to help in the understanding of the genealogy of the family, I know I have repeated some of the charts but I have tried to keep them down to one page and due to my genealogy program I was limited to what I could print on a page. I would like to print a master chart at some point, but this will need some more work and checking. Where I have information on the ancester s of the spouse I have tried to include a chart for that person. There might be names missing from some of the charts, please let me know so I can correct them.

Blog
I am placing a blog (web page) on the internet, I have it ready to post and will probably be active when you read this but it will be under construction for a while as we set up the heading’s etc.
http://mcnaughtonsofglengarry.blogspot.com/

This Blog will provide you with an opportunity to post comments, additions and corrections relating to the book The McNaughton’s of Glengarry County, Ont., and area and queries that relate to the McNaughton families of Glengarry County Ont. and their descendants as well as for the counties of Soulanges and Stormont.


I want to thank everyone who has helped with this effort. To the staff of the Glengarry Archives, Williamstown, Ontario for their help, also to the authors of the many local books that I have been able to access for additional information.

Credits and resources will be published in Vol 3, as well as a combined index to the 3 volume’s

I hope that you will find something new for your research and some long lost relatives.

Rhoda Ross
March. 2008





For those interested in obtaining a copy of this work, feel free to
contact us.

No comments: